Fashion trends have always been a top priority for those that follow pop culture. The popular trends of the 80s and 90s are coming back and not all are winners! Some of these recent comebacks include chokers, mom jeans, overalls, and even fanny packs. But it isn’t all about the clothes… another comeback from the 80s hip hop scene – dental bling.
One of the more recognized dental accessories, grillz can be permanently fixed on your teeth or installed as a denture like mold that you slip on when you feel like it. All forms of grillz are harmful to your teeth. Here’s just a few reasons to avoid them:
- Metals used are often gold, rose gold, platinum, or silver. These metals can be toxic to your body and eat away at the enamel on your teeth.
- Gems are usually used to decorate the metal. It’s a great place for bacteria to grow. Gross!
- Denture grillz generally won’t fit properly to your teeth. This messes with your alignment and can cause pain.
- Discoloration – metal grillz or even other cheaper materials can cause your teeth to become a dingy dirty color. So much for pearly whites!
- Expensive!!! Permanent grillz need to be custom made and will cost you thousands of dollars. Even the replaceable ones can be expensive.
Ok, so maybe you don’t want to be super flashy… so you opt for a subtle little gem on your tooth. What’s the harm of that? It’s so small! Well let me tell you, that tiny little rhinestone can cause a lot of problems. And if you want to get a little crazy and get an entire tooth studded, you’re in for even more problems. Brace yourself…
- Like I said before, those little gems love to grow bacteria. Your enamel will break down and allow a cavity to grow. Hooray for fillings!
- Gems can also cause cuts and canker sores in your mouth.
- What if some of your gems fall out and you swallow them? Your body wasn’t meant to digest diamonds and rubies.
- Just like with grillz, tooth gems can cause discoloration. The adhesive used to apply it can stain your teeth leaving you with a spot on your teeth when you decide you are tired of your bling.
So let’s recap…No fashion trend is worth the damage to your health and wallet. I don’t know about you, but I’d rather have my nice healthy white teeth… but it’s your call. In the meantime, if you’re looking for something that’s always on trend, try a whiter smile. Cosmetic dental procedures like whitening, veneers, or implants can make a big difference and allow the pearly whites to be the true gem.
Not all comebacks are bad! For other fashion comebacks to try instead click here.